Wednesday 13 January 2016

Entry 8: VidCon & Our Revolutionised Culture

Question 6 - Identify a form of digital culture (e.g. leet speak, memes, Youtube unboxing videos, glitch art, cyberbullying) that also has a distinct local or regional characteristic. Trace its history and using notable artefact(s), explain how this digital culture may be of significance to designers

Hello again..

My lecturer told us not to do last minute work, yet, here I am, writing the third post in a day. But don’t get me wrong, I’ve done my research beforehand and knew what to write about. So yeah I’m just writing and combining facts that I’ve found (you may think this as an excuse but I SWEAR ITS NOT).

Ok moving on,

I have explained how YouTubers can bring communities together in my previous posts. Well, Hank and John Green (They are YouTubers known as Vlogbrothers and they are legit brothers) (Yes it is THE John Green. The famous author) took it to the next level!!! They wanted to bring YouTube creators and their online communities together in real life and that is how VIDCON was BORN. The first VidCon was held in year 2010.


VidCon is a convention where the ‘fans’ get to meet their favourite YouTuber, it’s also a networking opportunity and a form of celebration (Siede, 2014). YouTubers are also invited to give speeches about everything from their life experiences to their success and such. DO YOU SEE IT? Our society, the way we educate and entertain are being REVOLUTIONISED.

So, Is this revolutionised culture good or bad? Will the world favour YouTubers so much to a point where everything goes out of hand and our culture will be meaningless a.k.a. destroyed? Or is there a bigger, brighter and more powerful community ahead of us that can make unknown impossibilities possible? Also, as a designer, will this Vlogging Culture benefit you in any way?? (to be continued..)

I’m gonna leave this post to it just being about VidCon and some questions I thought about for now.

Ta-ta

References:

Siede, C. (2014) “YouTube stars create communities, not fans” Available at: http://www.avclub.com/article/youtube-stars-create-communities-not-fans-205939 (Accessed: 6 January 2016).

No comments:

Post a Comment