Sunday 27 December 2015

Entry 3: Essay Question re-decided ..

Hello Everybdyyy,

It’s the last week of my study break before all the madness continues. For the last whole week, I spent my holidays in Hong Kong with my family so now that I’m back, assignments are prioritised. I’m a little worried about the amount of time I have left, but I can do thissssssss.

So, on my blog Entry 2, I wrote and confirmed on essay question number 4 regarding privacy vs greater national security. On the surface, the question seemed so interesting. But after speaking to my lecturer, he fired questions and terms at me that I have never even heard of. And when I did my research into it (for example: Edward Snowden’s privacy laws, the European Union and its history, privacy acts in Malaysia), it’s mostly so boring but it’s vital to know for this chosen question. 

Moving on, there is not much I can do but to change my essay question. 

On our previous lesson, Internet cultures were talked about with the involvement of youtubers. It never once hit me that youtubers are considered as a form of digital culture. I would’ve went with question 6 already! Hopefully this will be my last decision I hope I don’t regret.

Question 6 - Identify a form of digital culture (e.g. leet speak, memes, Youtube unboxing videos, glitch art, cyberbullying) that also has a distinct local or regional characteristic. Trace its history and using notable artefact(s), explain how this digital culture may be of significance to designers. 


But I had a problem: the question is a little confusing. I know I am picking Vlogging as a form of digital culture, but what does it mean by it having a distinct local or regional characteristic? I also don't exactly understand the word ‘artefact’. When I turned to my lecturer for help, he advised me to blog about my problems and best guess to the answers and also, going through my classmates or seniors’ blogs may help. So I’ll be writing about my research / findings and my understanding on the question as best as I can on my next blog. Stay tuned(!).

1 comment:

  1. You need to demonstrate an ability to research and think about information you find out.

    You can also make good guesses.

    Please use the dictionary.

    Distinct - unique
    local - from home
    regional - from places near home
    characteristics - features

    so putting it together, what do you think?

    You can also guess based on the words associated.

    Notable- famous

    Famous artefact...so...?

    As a degree level student, you must be able to go beyond basic question.

    ReplyDelete